Having a baby is such a sweet, joyous occasion but did you know that about 80% of new moms experience “the baby blues ” and up to 20% suffer from postpartum depression. After you give birth, the placenta is released and so are all those hormones that have been part of your world for the past 9 months. Once the mother delivers her placenta, her hormone levels can go back to baseline within 5 days, resulting in a huge hormonal shift.
Encapsulating your placenta gives you the opportunity to slowly replace those hormones and nutrients you lost so your fourth trimester recovery is easier on you and your body.
Why go through Dallas Birth Doulas?
- We use proper handling and safety techniques
- We have a current Food Handlers’ Safety Card valid in the state of Texas
- We have competed Bloodborne Pathogen Training
- We have completed OSHA training
- We handle one placenta at a time
The wonderful hormones and nutrients the placenta contains:
- Cortisone: combats stress and is energy boosting
- Gammaglobulin: immune booster
- Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Hemoglobin: replenishes iron
- Interferon: stimulates the immune system
- Oxytocin: produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant
- Prolactin: promotes lactation
- Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory
- TSH(Thyroid Stimulating Hormone): boosts energy and helps recovery from stress
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation:
- balanced mood
- lactation support
- hormonal balance
- promotes energy
- restorative sleep
- immune system booster
- faster healing
- replace hormones and
- nutrients lost during birth
For a study done by UNLV researchers read this Placenta Encapsulation Research study:
The process, performed by a trained professional with Dallas Birth Doulas, takes about 2 days and consists of cleaning the placenta, gently steaming it if using TCM methods, and preparing it for dehydration. Once the placenta is dried, it is pulverized and made into vegetable-based capsules.
Note: The information on this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The services offered are not clinical, pharmaceutical, nor intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease.
Interested in getting your placenta encapsulated? Click below.